Thursday 17 April 2014

Critical reflection: Writing and English process

At the beginning of this semester, I thought that I would not benefit much from this class since this is an introductory module to academic writing and I have been writing academic essays for five semesters. However, I still feel that I have learned a lot as the tutorials are presented in a systematic manner with resource lists and the assignments are quite different from other modules’. One aspect that is new and challenging for me is conceptualising and writing the problem-solution essay. So far, all the essays I have written are argumentative-based and do not follow a fixed format.

One aspect from this module that stands out from the rest is the one-to-one review sessions. I really appreciate the time and effort the tutor has spent on reviewing my reader response and essay drafts. The comments given are thoughtful and have helped me to become more aware of and improve my writing.

Although there are times when I question my decision to postpone this module until Year 3, I am pleased that I have the opportunity to hone my academic writing skills by myself. Writing is an essential component in academia, the workplace and everyday life. Therefore, it is crucial that we as individuals are able to write effectively.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Shukai, for your clear, concise reflection. I'm glad to hear that you feel that the course was beneficial, even at this stage of your studies.

    Best of luck as you continue your life's learning journey!

    ReplyDelete