Thursday 6 February 2014

An event that has shaped my life and the person I have become

An event that shaped my life took place last summer when I spent six weeks in Thailand working on the field studies module offered by the Geography Department. It takes place outside the traditional classroom setting and allows students to gather first-hand data and conduct their own research. Furthermore, most of the places we visited and stayed in were off the beaten track.

Signing up for this module is extremely uncharacteristic of me because I am quite resistant to change and I like to travel in comfort. However, the idea of clearing 8 MCs in merely six weeks was a huge incentive for me.

The module is an eye-opener as it provides an opportunity for me to really engage with the world. For instance, it is one thing to read dispassionately about Myanmar’s political instability and another to visit a Karenni refugee camp in Thailand to interact with internally displaced persons (IDPs) (Fig. 1).
(Fig. 1) - Interacting with IDPs

Admittedly, I have taken conveniences in Singapore like clean water, electricity, flushing toilets, Internet service and asphalt roads for granted. The experiences I had in Thai villages were completely different. For example, my peers and I spent two weeks in Ban Rak Thai (BRT) where electricity was rationed and the only source of Internet came from a restaurant. For the first time, I became thankful for small blessings such as dry clothes and hot baths because the weather in BRT is perpetually cold and rainy. The village stay struck a chord with me that I ought to be more appreciative for what I have. 

(Fig. 2) - Communal living
(Fig. 3) - Washing the dishes

I am glad I took a chance to get out of my comfort zone because the experiences and friendship I gained from this module far outweigh the discomforts and negativity I felt. Moreover, the journey made me realise that I am stronger, both mentally and physically, than I give myself credit for.

(308 words)

1 comment:

  1. This is a very good post, Shu Kai, as you reflect on your learning trip to Thailand. The account of your motivation is honest, and yet it's also clear that you gained far more than 8 mod credits. I appreciate the concrete details you've provided, especially in the fourth paragraph. The way you wrap up your learning in the last paragraph is also appropriate. Finally, the photos really add to the story.

    All in all, this is a job well done. My only criticism is minor: Check your verb tenses.

    ReplyDelete